Monday, October 19, 2015

Week Twenty-Two - Obedience

Monday is the best day of the week right now because I hear from Elder Lovgren. Here are some things he said last week:

Being a Missionary
The demands of being out here this week made me realize how much I love being out here. I love wearing this name tag over my heart every day. I realized this week how much I love wearing these clothes and how much I love loving - loving people is the biggest thing for me. I have really come to love the people here in Irvine. I'm so happy that my prayers have turned from me-me-me to others. I think about how I can help others, be an instrument in the Lord's hands, and be a tool for Him to use. It's just going with the flow and following the spirit. It feels so good. It feels good when I know I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing. 

Obedience and Happiness
What is fun about life when I'm constantly fighting "You should be doing this" and "You should be doing that"? What's enjoyable about feeling "You should be doing this right now" and constantly fighting (thinking "No, I don't want to)? The promptings are all out of love and they're to bless people. 
  • For example today: We're going to a restaurant for breakfast and this morning. I called the Elders and was like, "Are we gonna wear proths? Which is Proselyting clothes (white shirt and tie.) He was like, "I don't know, are you?" and I was like, "I don't really like going to clothing stores and having to take off my proths clothes when I try on clothes, so I'm just gonna wear normal clothes." Then I took a shower and the whole time felt like wear your proths clothes, wear your proths clothes.  I thought why? and then realized there are people who see us in proths, and they think about us and what we're doing - serving the Lord, and if we're just in normal clothes they won't think that. 
  • I have two years to be able to wear these clothes with this name tag - to be identified as a missionary - and I really realized there's not a moment to waste. I gotta be out there. I can sleep when I die. I can sacrifice at this time for greater things to come. As I kept fighting to put on my normal clothes  the impression was 'no, you should be putting on your proths clothes' and all of a sudden my peace of mind started going away. I thought what's the point of fighting it?, and so texted the Elders, "Hey, I'm gonna wear proths clothes." I put on my proths clothes and my peace of mind stayed. Now I'm back to cruisin'. 
That gives me perspective. And it's never easy, that's the thing, it's never easy. Every time I want to do something but feel in my heart that I should be doing something else - the Holy Ghost is tugging at me - it's never easy or convenient. It's not supposed to be that way. That's why it's so important to be truly converted to the Lord and let His will become mine. Every action I do is for Him. It's tapping into the spiritual side and seeing who I really am. I'm very grateful for being out here. 

Elder Lovgren's District - Latest District Meeting at the Mission Home

No comments:

Post a Comment