Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Week Thirty Five - Learning

Elder Lovgren inspires me. (Just to clarify, this blog is maintained by me and I insert some of his words from his weekly messages to us.) Here are some things he said this week:

The Lord's Words
The scripture I want to share (in Mosiah chapter 7) is one that sort of haunted me at times when I knew I needed to be a better person, but at the same time it just rings so much truth. It's in the Book of Mormon, Mosiah chapter seven. It says:"For behold, the Lord hath said: I will not succor my people in the day of their transgression; but I will hedge up their ways that they prosper not; and their doings shall be as a stumbling block before them. And again, he saith: If my people shall sow filthiness they shall reap the chaff thereof in the whirlwind; and the effect thereof is poison. And again he saith: If my people shall sow filthiness they shall reap the east wind, which bringeth immediate destruction. And now, behold, the promise of the Lord is fulfilled, and ye are smitten and afflicted. But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage." (Mosiah 7:27-33)

Lesson Learned
When I lost my wallet it was at a time when I was sitting around the apartment a little more than I should have, I was sitting in the car, and maybe going shopping during the week. I was not doing missionary work at those times and that's just the honest truth. I don't believe the Lord inflicted pain on me but rather he invited an experience for me to learn from and grow, so I could become a better person. What a better person I've become with my wallet being gone! It sucks! But at the same time it's okay, I'm learning. It's like do what I need to be doing, obey the Lord, obey every prompting, follow the commandments, do everything that I can! How is me losing my wallet not how the Lord hedged up a way for me to not prosper? It's been hard! It was not a punishment for me to lose my wallet - even though I thought it was - but, really, it was an opportunity for me to grow. I think it's more of a blessing than a punishment.

Blessings and Happiness
The other day some people were in our face, and saying and doing mean things to us. It bummed me out, but I asked myself how can I learn from this? How can I be a better person? I reflected over that experience and feel like I was led to that scripture yesterday. I decided to put my trust in the Lord knowing he's not gonna hedge up my way to be blocked but rather he's gonna enable us to be blessed. If we want to be happy people we have to choose. What I think that means is to choose to have God's will, choose to love God, choose to do what God wants us to do. I think choosing God brings happiness because true happiness comes from Him. If we want to be happy people we have to choose to follow Heavenly Father.

Elder Lovgren and the Dover District

No comments:

Post a Comment