Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Week Thirty-Six - And The Work Goes On

Is there a better place for Elder Lovgren to be than on a mission?! Would eternal progression, a strengthened testimony, and an everlasting focus have come had he not served a mission? I don't think so. Here are some things Elder Lovgren said this week:

Change
The gospel changes people, it makes them their best selves. I'm a testimony of that and can see it in myself - I am changed. I can just see it in myself, that I wasn't a very good person. I know it's a process in our lives and that it takes time, and I can see the change that's happened in me. Before my mission I didn't like people, and now all I want to do is surround myself with others and build relationships with my brothers and sisters. I want to help them and I don't care about me. Any chance I get to stop thinking about myself is nice. Like I said, it's a process and it's not something I'm perfect at. But line upon line and precept upon precept - I grow a little bit at a time. I'm growing so much! 

Knowing
The other day, our investigator asked us, "How do I know that a 14 year old boy saw Jesus Christ?" That's a very valid question! Everyone needs to ask that question. We shared scriptures with him - Alma 32 talks about exercising a particle of faith and when you let the seed of faith grow in your heart you'll feel swelling motions and your soul will begin to enlarge and you'll know it comes from a good place. Ether 12 verse 6 says that faith is things that are hoped for but not seen, and that a witness will come after your faith is tried - God will reveal himself spiritually to us. Many things are manifest to us through the spirit after we have the desire - the hope - that they will be manifest. We desire God to really be there and we hope for it. If we dispute not and dare to have faith He will witness to us. 

Spirituality
People inherently have spirituality in them, and they want to talk about it! People want a church to come to and they want to talk about spiritual things. The reality of the calling I have for two years is to be able to tell people, "It exists, it's here right now, come and be a part of it. We'll love ya, and you'll find so much peace and happiness here. It's changed my life. You just have to know for yourself, don't take my word for it." Reality tells me there is no greater calling. Missionary work is a miracle, and I couldn't be more happy in my life - I couldn't be in a better place. 

Contact Lenses
A friend of ours said the gospel is like contacts. I love that comparison. Before I had contacts I could see beautiful things - I could go - I could live my life - life was good. But that day when I put contacts in my eyes, all of a sudden I saw detail - I saw even more beauty. That's entirely what this gospel is: We can live our lives happy and content, but when we put the contacts of the gospel on we see things way different - we see the details and see the things that matter.

Elder Cedeno, Elder Lovgren's trainer, is going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment