Elder Lovgren had a great week last week! Here are some of the things he said:
- It's so crazy how some weeks are the slowest and some weeks the fastest! This week was for sure a quicky. Does it feel long that I've been gone now?? Shoot only 3 weeks and it feels like that haha but it's gone quick!
- Well missionary work is the best, really. It's such an amazing privilege. Everything has come together real nicely this week. I feel very integrated into the ward and I'm starting to be more of me! There's always that kind of weird adjustment time trying to "fit in" sort of... but once that's over, the work really starts.
- We said a prayer before leaving and during I got this vivid image in my mind of us walking 2 doors down and knocking on a door. So as soon as I got up from the prayer, I knew exactly where we were going and why we were there. I then felt prompted to grab a plan of salvation pamphlet that teaches about Gods plan with pictures and such. So we walk over and knock, boom, a 30 year or so old woman answers and shes super happy to see us! We small talk for a bit then I just said, you know, we just felt prompted to come over here, not sure why but we want to share a short message with you about Heavenly Fathers plan of happiness for all of us. We then shared some things about where we came from, why we're here, where we go after we die, etc. and I shared with her that I absolutely KNOW families can be together forever. She then told us a little bit more about herself and some heavy trials she's had in her life. I asked her who she lived with thinking she was married. She then said, "I live with my parents! Reason being... my moms upstairs in bed dying from pancreatic cancer, and it's bad." When she said this I was just in awe. I couldn't believe how orchestrated these events were, the timing, the message, everything! I then promised her again families can be together forever, you will see your mother again when this time passes. I then gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon with my testimony written inside and promised her the comfort it would bring to her life and she was so thankful!! It was such a miracle to see how easily just by following the still small voice of the spirit, those tiny little promptings, we can truly be effective work tools in the Lords hands! He knows best. He knows what each of his children need and he calls those who are worthy of it to be angels at the right place at the right time.
- Another rad thing that happened this week actually totally got me stoked about being in RSM and this area. So on another exchange, it was around 8 pm and we're at this lake sitting on a bench talking and such. I then hear a snap! And I knew from a mile away someone was skating, so way far away I see these two dudes just chilling, both with skateboards. So of course... I ask them to play skate! Every time when I ask that in shirt and tie and dress shoes, people laugh and just know they'll smoke me right? Well I did a few tricks and these kids were dyin hahaha. Thought it was crazy I could actually skate. So they were then pretty interested in what this is all about. So I told em I've skated forever and that I've worked with a lot of people in the industry they know etc. So they're super shocked at this point. Then music came up and one of the kids, 18 years old named AJ pulled out some demos of his band. No joke, fully 80s synth kinda psych poppy stuff. Pretty much exactly DCA. So already we're just nerding out about it all. I then told them they have to hear my synth I brought out since it's THE 80s synth. So the next day, AJ invited us over to his place where all his homies were. Now this whole term of events was pretty hilarious and quirky to me haha! Eliminate the whole music thing and this would've never happened... We walked up to his house, it's me and 3 elders, shirt and tie right and this dude walks out, real hard pressed fully tatted gnarly biker guy. Looks real mean, he says, "you the guys with the music?" We're like uhhh yeah? He's like cool!! I'm AJs dad he's inside!!! His mom then welcomes me in and 2 of his sisters and they're all just happy to see us. Then we go to the basement and 5 of his homies are down there. AJ then introduces me to his buddy Jordan on guitar. He brings over an amp for me, I plug in and start playing some chords and such. And I don't even know how but all of a sudden in like 2 minutes we're just jamming in his basement. Like dream jamming!!! This dude is just ripping on guitar and it all sounded amazing. So we just jammed and made jazz stuff for like an hour and then we had to grab a ride quick so we kinda ran out of the house. But the whole dynamic of just these surf bois and these elders in this small basement making the sickest music! It was so epic. I've now got all of their numbers and we're planning every week to record music and then teach a little bit about the gospel. It's so sick!!!! This whole thing really made me so happy to be here. I hope I get to stay for a while so I can meet with these kids every week since they're not in school or anything, they're just trying to figure out what the futures lookin like. Very blessed for that experience. Makin me happy!!
- So these were just a couple crazy lil things that go on on the daily out here! Love you all foreal. A lot! Can't wait to hear what this new week brings for you. Please tell me everything!!!
Elder Lovgren and Elder Christensen