Wednesday, November 2, 2016

2nd Week Three - Life's Assortment

Elder Lovgren's area is very diverse. On one hand there are people who live in gated communities, and on the other hand there are people who live in the canyon. Here are some things he said this week:

  • At one point I had a story that I wanted to share which was about a scripture that really stuck out to me in the Book of Mormon that was how I gained my testimony but instead I felt totally prompted to share the reason why I wanted to come on a mission, which was three years ago when I needed to...Mom, I was with you and we were driving in the car and I told you I wanted to go on a mission. The day before, the missionaries came over and totally brought the spirit in our house and it felt super good. I was struggling, didn't really know where I was going, and had decided I wasn't going on a mission. But then I told you I wanted to go because I had watched a wedding film about the temple and about how families really can be together forever. I had that experience where I was telling you about it and the sun was shining super bright in my eyes and I just knew "Okay, this is definitely the right thing to do" but I had lost sight of that decision. I told him the reason the gospel means so much to me is because it blesses my family-brings me closer to them, brings me closer to my heavenly family; to my brothers and sisters-to all of you. And he just started smiling and I was just like man this feels so good! 
  • Ive been trying to stay focused. I've been praying a lot trying to understand how I can change my life because I feel like I'm in this transition period right now where I feel like I need to get back on track. Feeling the spirit is something I want every day.
  • There's this guy who has a guard goat in his front yard! You have to be nice to him and pet the top of his head or else he'll ram into you and push you over. The guy is super nice, but I thought it was so funny that they had a guard goat! That's the kind of stuff that goes down in the canyon. The other day I caught myself saying "Howdy" and I thought what am I doing?! Who am I now?! It was funny.
  • I'll find myself being really quiet and bummed about the fact that everyone's in their houses during the day and there's really nothing to do. (The people in the canyon aren't very nice, sometimes you get the door slammed in your face, and you get in a rut. It's a mental game, you know?) I find that when I'm quiet it's because I'm thinking about myself-I turn inward-I think why me? This is totally affecting me. Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... When I look over at my companion and think about the issues he's going through a lot of that goes away. I just have to constantly remind myself to care about others all the time, to really try to stay busy in the work but be interested in other people-be concerned, and care, and sincerely try to help them. 
  • I shared my favorite scripture that starts with "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost." I read that in the Missionary Training Center a year and a half ago at a time when I wasn't sure if I could keep going. I read that scripture "Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do." My initials are ANGL and I felt like that scripture really spoke to me that "Andrew, you'll speak by the power of the Holy Ghost. Read the scriptures-feast on them-and you'll know what to do in your life." That totally comforted me so much when I didn't know if I could keep going. I was looking at them and I could see that they were smiling and they could feel the spirit so much and I was like this has been a week that I've been thinking about family a lot-the kind of father I want to be, raising my kids, providing a home for them. (I think it's inevitable on a mission-you're always teaching those things.) It was really amazing to teach in such a simple way and see the impact it had on them. Maybe it will be something that inspires them in time to come, and it makes missionary work so sweet.
Elder Christensen, a friend, Elder Lovgren


No comments:

Post a Comment